The Digital Copy Record Form (DCRF) is a pre-formatted Microsoft Excel spreadsheet for recording Digital Copies distributed under the terms of the Higher Education Licence and is intended to cover each 12-month reporting period. (You can find the download links below).
The current reporting period is 1 June 2021 – 31 May 2022.
We will require your completed form returned to us no later than 15 June 2022.
Below are instructions to help you complete the form.
Since the 1st of June 2014, each HEI has been allocated to one of three reporting groups. Your group will determine what you need to report each year. To find out which group you are in please see the Reporting Schedule.
For the current reporting period 1 June 2021 – 31 May 2022:
Group HE1 & HE3 are required to report only new Digital Copies and should use the DCRF template NEW.
Groups HE2 is required to report a full return Digital Copies and should use DCRF template ALL.
If a Digital Copy has been used for more than one course, it must be reported for each. If a course has several modes of delivery (e.g. campus-based, distance learning), the Digital Copy does not have to be reported for each; the number of students reported should be the aggregate of all modes of delivery.
What do we mean by FULL and NEW?
FULL return: You should report each Digital Copy distributed to a group of students on a course of study (module, unit) during the current reporting period, notwithstanding that the copy may have been reported as distributed during the previous reporting period.
NEW return: You should report all Digital Copies that have been newly created and distributed to a group of students on a course of study (module, unit) during the current reporting period. You should also create a new course entry where a previously-created Digital Copy is being used for a new course.
Tab 1 – Course codes
• Column B (course_codes) – please insert the relevant course code assigned by your institution.
• Column C (course_title) – please insert the title of the course.
• Column D (duration) – please insert the no. of weeks the course runs for (including assessment, examination and re-sits).
• Column E – please insert the number of students registered on this particular course.
Tab 2 – Bibliographic details
These should be entered on each line for each Digital Copy made / distributed (whether scanned from a printed book / journal or
copied from a digital edition)
• Column C (course code) – You are not able to type anything into this column. When clicking on the cell, a drop-down menu should
appear containing the course codes entered on the first tab. Please choose the relevant code from this list.
• Column D – The ISBN / ISSN of the publication you are copying from should be entered.
• Column E – The title of the publication.
• Column F – This column needs to be completed if you are scanning from a journal.
• Column G – For each journal article, please insert details of the first named contributor (e.g. author or editor); re book chapters,
please insert details of the first named contributor (e.g. author or editor) if different from the author or editor of the book.
• Columns H&I – Please enter the page numbers you are scanning from and to. Please do not enter chapter information as we need
the page numbers.
• Column J – please refer to the codes in the field key in Tab 3 and select from the drop-down menu to indicate the source from which
the Digital Copy has been made.
• Column K – this column should only be completed if the Digital Copy has been supplied by another institution under the transfer
and exchange provision. Please enter the name of the institution where applicable.
• Please do not leave empty lines between entries in the spreadsheets, or between course codes on the first tab.
• Should the copyright works be re-used for courses for the next academic year and you wish to copy and paste the information from
one spreadsheet into another, you will need to open both spreadsheets with the macros disabled.
• Please use ‘paste special’ then ‘values’.
Completed spreadsheets should be returned to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 15 June 2022.
Here are the download links for the Digital Copy Record Forms: